Thursday, July 19, 2012

Wide Awake

This post is not to advocate drinking & driving.  This story takes place over 20 years ago, when the times about drinking & driving were slightly different. Today, I'm a DD (designator driver), and I seldom drinking anymore.

Please don't drive & drive.


A group of co-workers and I decided to rent a limo, and go into Boston. I left my car at a friends house, ( At that time, I lived about an hour outside of Boston.)  Before picking up the rest of the crew at their homes. My friend and I decided to get our drink on, before we left for the night.  I drank a pint of Jack Daniels, and was feeling no pain. After dinner, we walked around Boston, stopping into different establishments for a drink.   As we were walking, I tripped out of my shoe and I fell into a car door, yes folks a police car door.  Of course, the policemen was in the car at the time.  His response "She is not driving is she?"  My friends response was "certainly not".  He laughed, and said, "Have a good night ladies".  Of course, I laughed the whole time this was taking place, and then said, "Thank youuuuu, Mr Officerman".  Then off we went to party the night away.  At the end of our night, the limo took my friends back to their respective homes.  However, I was the only one who wasn't home yet and when I drink to much,  I have this overwhelming feeling that "I just need to get home."  When we got back to my friends house I  drank some water, and said, I'm good to go." So, I said goodbye and off I went to my car.

As I was driving home, I opened all the windows, air conditioner blowing on my face, and I was doing the whole head bobbing, putting the music loud, shaking my head.  I knew I was falling asleep.  In my mind, it made sense to pull the car over, get out of the car and walk around a bit, just to wake myself up. Then I would be fine. Looking back, stopping on the highway wasn't the best decision.

I pulled over,  got out of the car, walked to the passenger side. I then realized, if a cop pulled over he would ask me what I am doing. Then, I got nervous but I felt I just needed a few more mins, to wake up. So, I decided to "act" like there was something wrong with the car. So, I walk to the front passenger side of the car, looking at the tire, and walked to the back tire, and returned to the front and then to back once again.  I decided that my "acting" job wasn't really working for me.  I need to step it up, so I bent over and actually was looking at the back tire.  Of course, after several hours of drinking, bending over quickly is not recommended.  I got dizzy, and wobbly, and missed my footing, and fell backwards.  Down a ditch, along the highway. Once again, my dress (lovely mustard color) was over my head , my black shoes flew in the air and I rolled all the way down the ditch  As I laid in the pitch dark, in a ditch, along the highway.  I said to myself OMG, how would I explain this?  So, I jumped up, tried climbing out of the ditch with no shoes, while pulling leaves out of my hair.  I hopped back into my car, and took off.  Oh yeah, I was wide AWAKE now.

I went home, passed out, and the next morning, well let's just say, I found leaves where there shouldn't be any!!

1 comment:

  1. Again Kim, thanks for the amusing post! Looking forward to the next...

    ReplyDelete