Sunday, February 17, 2013

When a Boston accent ruins a relationship....

Ok, so those who know me realize that I tend to take on the accents of those around me.  I find it so hard to not speak with an accent if I'm around someone who has one, with that said however, I do realize that I have a strong Boston accent as well. Sometimes, I don't realize how strong it is until someone points it out to me.  When you read this post, you may think that there are a lot of misspellings (god knows, I am famous for them), but it's actually words that are spelt out like someone you were talking to who was from Boston (or my case Taunton).

I had been dating this girl for about 1 month, who was from South Carolina.  One of the girls' pet peeves was someone making fun of her accent. So, as you can tell from my above description of how I tend to talk the same way as the person I'm talking too, this was very hard and for the most part, looking back it at that time, I realized how draining it was not too.

We decided to chill at my house, I'd pick up some sandwiches and watch a movie.  Here is what happened:

Kim:  "So, do you want to meet up on Sattaday?"
Jamie:  "Ok, that sounds like fun, Kem".

So, on that day I get a call and she left the direction at home and could I walk her thru the directions.

Kim:  "Ok, so you are on 24. There is no num-bah on the exit sign, but you are going to take the Nawth Main Street exit"  "Let me know when you get to the exit"
Jamie: "Hey, Kem I just took the exit".
Kim: "Cool, at the stop sign bang a left"
Jamie: "Do whaaaaat?"
Kim: "uh"
Jamie: "Whatcha want  me to dooo?"
Kim: "Um, take a left?"
Jamie: "Ok, I taken the left".
Kim:  "My street comes up quickly" so take that first right"
Jamie:  "Ok"

A few mins go by, and I'm thinking ok, it shouldn't be taken this long.

Kim: "whe-rah-ya?"
Jamie: "I don't know"
Kim: "Well, what is around you?"
Jamie: "Nut'tin"
Kim: "There ain't nothing around you?"
Jamie: "No, Ma'am'"
Kim: "Ok, did you pass Rodgers restaurant, on your right?"
Jamie: "Oh, that is right HHHerrah"
Kim:  "You have gone to far, do a U-ie".
Jamie: "Do whaaaat"
Kim: "Turn around and go back."

Ok, at this point, I feel a little drained.

So, she finally make to my front door. We exchanged greets.  Little time has past.

Kim:  "I hope you are stahvin."
Jamie: "Yes"
Kim:  "I picked up some grinders"
Jamie: "What's that?"
Kim: "A San-witch"
Jamie: "Ok" "Can I HELL-Pah youuuu?"
Kim: "Sure, thanks, can you grab some nackins in the draw
Jamie: "Do whaaaat?"
Kim: (pointing). "Grab some nackins from the draw".
Jamie: (she then grabs some plates from the cabinet) "WeaR should I put the plates?"
Kim: "You can it them ova heah, ova theah"
Jamie: "Do whaaaat?"
Kim: (pointing). "Put them ova heah."
Kim: "Do you wan-nah eat on the couch?"
Jamie: "Sure"
Kim:  "Ok, can you also grab some forks out of the draw and bring them it into the pahla"
Jamie: Do whattttt?"
Kim: (pointing} Can you bring these with you to the couch."
Kim: "Do you want some soder?"
Jamie: "Do whaaaat?"
Kim: "What do you want to drink?"

Ok, at this point, I am a tad more drained

We finally settle in on the couch.
Kim:  "Can you grab the clicah on the end table?"
Jamie: "Do what?"
Kim: (pointing) Can you grab the clicah off the end table?"
Jamie: "a-uh"

Ok, at this point, I feel like I'm dating Helen Keller.

We watched a movie, small talk...

Kim: "Let me throw this stuff in the gahbidge bin'
Jamie: "Do whaaaat?"
Kim: "I'll be right back" (notice how my response changed from repeating myself)

I come back into the room, small talk continues

Jamie: "I need to go to the bathroom"
Kim: "Do whaaaaat?"  (ok, this is the point, where yes I did take on a southern accent and yes I was copying her)
Jamie: "Kem, are you make-in a fun of me?"
Kim: "No, sorry, it's just that you said it a few times tonight".

Jamie: "That is because for the last few hours, I haven't understood a word youuuu saidddd".  (ok, that sentence was spoken very quickly and with an attitude tone).
Kim: "That is ok, because for the last few hours, I thought you were retahded"

Needless to say, that was the end of the night....




3 comments:

  1. HA HA HA I have to admit I know exactly how she felt when I used to visit when I was younger. I would always have to ask dad what you guys were saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sounds like a wicked pissah!!

    ReplyDelete